Mesaimie Pty Ltd 
Login Click here to Join
You are here: Home > Homepage > News alerts > Self Education Expenses

Self Education Expenses

You may be able to claim the costs associated with educating yourself - whether you are a part-time or full-time student - if there is a direct connection between your course of study and your current job or work activities - that is, your education will maintain or improve your skills.

You can generally claim study-related items such as:

  • textbooks 
  • course fees (excluding HECS) 
  • stationery 
  • student union fees 
  • travel expenses to and from university or TAFE 
  • the decline in value of equipment used in study, such as a computer.

You cannot claim your education costs:

  • if you are studying so you can get a new job or open up a new business opportunity 
  • against income you received from Centrelink payments such as youth allowance or austudy.

Copyright ATO, 6 October 2004.

This article is not a substitute for independent professional advice. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information or material in this article. All information is subject to change without notice. We and each party providing material displayed in this article disclaim liability to all persons or organisations in relation to any action(s) taken on the basis of currency or accuracy of the information or material, or any loss or damage suffered in connection with that information or material. You should make your own enquiries before entering into any transaction on the basis of the information or material in this article. Please ensure you contact us to discuss your particular circumstances and how the information provided applies to your situation.

Back Email a Friend View Printable Version
eknowhow | The World's Best Websites
Privacy Policy and Disclaimer